Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

My little plant family

At the end of March, mom bought me an orchid at Longwood's Orchid Extravaganza. It was a mystery orchid...we had no idea what color or pattern it would turn out to be! About a month later, my orchid began to bloom. It was beautiful. Sadly, I don't have the green thumb my mom does, so I sent my orchid to "Connie Camp" so it would continue thriving in her perfect sunlight. Here's what my little orchid looked like at its peak:


Once my orchid was at Connie Camp and my South African orange star plant (featured in this post) stopped blooming for the summer, I decided I needed some new pretty things to keep me company.

I went to Longwood for a Saturday afternoon and came away with two pretty plants.

First, I looked at this little Calandiva, which is so small it fits in my hand. I figured it couldn't be too hard for me to keep alive. =) I found a wee blue pot for its home.


As I wandered around the garden shop searching for the little pot, I decided my Calandiva needed a friend (because who wants to be lonely?). I kept coming back to this Wandering Jew (more info about this interesting little guy can be found here):


Its shiny leaves and vibrant purple drew me in and I decided that would be my Calandiva's friend. I walked back and forth literally 20 times trying to decide on a pot for my wanderer, and finally picked a mint green teacup. I felt it was very Ya-Ya appropriate.


I'm open to suggestions for names! I always like naming my little friends.

2 comments:

Elizabeth ♔ said...

in honour of the fourth of july, i suggest martha and george.

Ashley Barnas said...

Cute idea, Lizzie! I'll toss those in the idea bin.