Pages

Friday, September 25, 2009

Rubber Ducky, you're the one...of 7,000

This past Sunday, I got to cover a Meals on Wheels event that raised money for food for the elderly. It was a race that consisted of 7,000 yellow rubber ducks. Yes, it is true. And yes, it was amazing. Before I set out on this story, I was picturing a few people sticking their ducks of various shapes, sizes and colors (though predominantly yellow), into a pool to push or blow along to the finish line. But I was very, very wrong. I arrived at the YMCA in Burlington with Melissa, a freshman reporter who came with me to write the story and learn how to shoot video. And when we got into the pool area, we were faced with at least a dozen tubs filled to the brim with what we soon found out were 7,000 rubber ducks.

The tubs were dumped into the pool on the count of three and sprayed to the finish line with hoses. It was an awesome sight, and rightfully so for such an awesome cause. I was blessed to be a part of it, and to be working with Melissa - it's always a joy to teach someone about something I love, especially when they are so enthusiastic about it.

Here is Melissa's story, and here is the video I shot and edited with Melissa:

No comments: