Pages

Sunday, August 16, 2009

My Summer at the WaPo

I had an incredible internship experience this summer in the news video department of The Washington Post. It was definitely a dream internship for me. After 10 and a half weeks working in the video cave, I really feel like an official cavemate. It was very sad for me to leave the Post behind, knowing that I will never see that Arlington office again (they're merging with the D.C. office), and not knowing about my future there...I guess I'll see in less than nine months. Gulp.

But for now, I will just reflect on my good times there! Because I'm working on focusing on the positive rather than wasting time on being sad.

Things I'll miss:
- My cavemates (above): Chet, Anna, Jon and Francine
- Editing video on everything from wind turbines to psychic auctions to wine tasting
- Frantic phone calls about breaking news and live video that needs to be streamed immediately...and the hectic situation thereafter. I love working under pressure.
- The seafood smell near Exit 4 on my way home
- Driving by the Nats stadium, especially on game days when the bleachers are full and I can smell delicious ballgame hotdogs
- Saluting the Capitol as I drive by every morning
- Having two hours every day during my commute to listen to music and think
- Being treated to delicious Cafe Asia
- The sweet people who come to clean the office every night and say hi to me
- The weekend parking garage man who waves to me as I leave
- Cosi boy at the cash register
- Robert, the man who makes the best Cosi signature salads ever
- Cosi signature salads
- Did I mention Cosi?
- Milky Way Choccocinos - my amazing daily hot chocolate fix created by the Flavia machine
- Free sodas and tea in the kitchen
- Reading "Wuthering Heights" on the Metro
- Attending/calling in to the 6 p.m. budget meetings

Things I won't miss:
- The smell of Blue Plains (D.C. Water and Sewer Authority)
- The lack of sunshine and having no clue about the weather until I physically step outside
- The constant stream of depressing news
- Being so far away from The Pendulum (I know, I'm pitiful).

How I've changed:
- I'm now a Twitter fiend...seriously, I'm addicted.
- I like sports. And I like working on sports video.
- I have definitely come to the realization that I was meant to be a features/style/human interest person. I thrive off happiness and need to share other people's stories.
- The biggest change: I have more confidence in myself and my abilities. Finally.

No comments: