Pages

Monday, August 10, 2009

Beating Feet on D.C. Streets

I am (now) so street.

Last night, I watched "America's Best Dance Crew" on MTV. I never gave the show a second thought (I'm a "So You Think You Can Dance" fan) until this season gave me a reason to be a follower: the Beat Ya Feet Kings. One of my favorite Washington Post projects is a video on the go-go dance troupe who, at the time I first interviewed them, had no idea they would be one of nine crews featured this season.



The five D.C. feet beaters had my full attention last night while they were on TV. I was so excited to have met the group just two weeks earlier when they were performing in a public library and later at a restaurant/lounge downtown.

From D.C. to L.A., the streets to the stage, the Beat Ya Feet Kings have already made a name for themselves. They told me their goal was to show go-go to the world, and they have done just that. Their performance, the first of the evening, was by no means spotless. They were not in sync the way I know they can be. They were in the bottom three after their performance and had to "battle" their way to a spot on next week's show. I was holding my breath when Mario Lopez, the host, announced they would have to compete at the end of the show for a spot on next week's. But when he said it would be a "battle" to the Black-Eyed Peas' "Boom Boom Pow," I knew the Kings would be in their element and have no trouble at all. Thank goodness I was right. They redeemed themselves and won the battle...and I get to watch my new friends dance again next week.

No comments: