Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

big day in the life

Yesterday was quite excellent. For a day that started out fairly average, it picked up.

First highlight: I felt like a real reporter today when I got to write my first story for The News Journal. Here's the story (it's a sad one, for sure):

.....

Six horses were killed and three people suffered minor injuries in a barn fire early Tuesday near West Grove, Pa.

Firefighters from several companies were called about 12:30 a.m. to True Prospect Farm in the 200 block of Hood Road in West Marlborough Township.

Eleven horses were inside the barn, and fire officials said four of the surviving horses were sent to the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center for treatment.

After the fire broke out, three people who live nearby -- Lillian Heard, Caitlin Silliman and Ryan Wood -- helped horses escape, according to the United States Equestrian Federation. All three people were treated at Jennersville Hospital and released.

The horses, owned by Boyd Martin, were trained in eventing, which tests the animals and riders both on flat surfaces and over fences.

The horses killed were Call Me Ollie, Charla, Phantom Pursuit, Ariel, Cagney Herself and Summer Breeze, the equestrian federation said. The horses undergoing treatment are Neville Bardos, Otis Barbotiere, Catch a Star and Ambassador's Rose. The name of the 11th horse in the barn was not released.

The barn is rented by Martin from Phillip Dutton Eventing, the federation said.

A relief fund has been set up to help the farm, owners and riders affected by the fire. A link to donate can be found on Martins' blog at: http://boydandsilvamartin.blogspot.com.

.....

After work, Borg came into my life. Borg is handsome, shiny and about four feet tall. His job: Keeping me cool at nights. My bedroom is a sauna compared to the wonderfully chilly 68-degree downstairs, so I decided it was time to find a little relief. Thank goodness for Borg. And thank goodness for my Phillips head screw driver and my basic knowledge of IKEA-like instruction manuals. I was ready to take on the challenge.

The result:


Yes, I consider putting a fan together a great accomplishment. That was my glorious "Monday" of a Tuesday.

2 comments:

Olivia Hubert-Allen said...

Yay for multimedia people who can write! :) Good work Ashley!

Ashley Barnas said...

Thanks so much, Olivia!