Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Elonthon: My last dance

Tonight was my final Elonthon. It's a 24-hour dance marathon Elon does every spring to raise money for Duke Children's Hospital and I have done it every year because I love it so much. My freshman year was just incredible because it was such a fun and new experience. What made this year so special was how every aspect wrapped up so perfectly for me...even down to the simple things. Waiting in line to get in to the gym, I noticed there were only three colors for T-shirts this year: red, blue and yellow. I have SO many red and blue shirts, and I was really hoping and praying to get a yellow shirt. Sure enough, my wish was granted as the girl handed me a yellow shirt. Perfect. That brings my collection to emerald green freshman year, turquoise sophomore year, lavender junior year and now yellow. Happiness.


Elonthon began the same as always - the committees and exec team run in as we cheer for them and then they all break out into the morale dance. Then, Mrs. Lindley shares her story. I knew what was coming. The shock of her story was tremendous my freshman year. The death of her son Mason, to whom Elonthon is dedicated in loving memory, was still fresh for her. When she spoke my freshman year, there were Elon students who had gotten to meet Mason when he visited Elonthon in years past. I was not one of them, but I cried my eyes out after seeing the video. This year was the same. To start the marathon with Mason's story really hits you - it makes us realize why we're there. Here's the video...have tissues nearby:



Another blessing of tonight was the change in the Lindleys' story. After showing the video, Mason's parents had a photo slideshow to share with us of all the fun times Mason had as a miracle child, something they haven't shared in years past. Mason got to meet President Bush, Marie Osmond and other amazing people, in addition to being a special guest at events - he was an honorary coach at a Chapel Hill football game and got to attend a Hooters NASCAR race (and asked where the little Hooters girls were). Seeing those photos was an incredible capstone to my Elonthon experiences.

Mason's sister Lizzie flipped the switch to turn on the ELONTHON lights at the back of the gym, just as she has in years past, the lights came up, I wiped off my tears and the dancing began. Several incredible stories were shared throughout the evening and there was so much fun and dancing!

My final special experience of tonight was when Rip_Chord came to perform. How perfect that my favorite a cappella group came during the 6-hour shift I was dancing. Serendipity. The final song they sang was their Disney Medley, one of my favorites. The medley ends with one of my good friends, Chris Beeson, singing "A Whole New World," from Aladdin. As he began to sing, he looked directly at me. I was already nervous. It was so evident that Gabby, Melissa and Rachel standing next to me turned to look at me and grin. THEN! He changed the lyrics:

I can show you the world
Shining, shimmering, splendid
Tell me, Ashley, now when did
You last let your heart decide?

Cue the melting of my heart. Everyone around me gasped and awed and made audible smiles. It was one of the neatest experiences of my life. And, of course, I flushed red and clasped my heart as my friends just started patting me on the arm. I remember Gabby saying I had waited four years for that moment. It was amazing. Chris made my entire life. It's probably tied with the time he had Rip_Chord sing Happy Birthday to me at Midnight Meals last year.

This Elonthon, like the one freshman year, will forever remain in my heart as very special for so many reasons. Everything came full circle for me. The stories touched my heart as they always do, the performances and dances were more fun than ever before, and my friends made the night simply incredible. It's these experiences that are making my senior year unforgettable.

3 comments:

David Wells said...

haha awwwww! So sweet for Rip_Chord/ Chris to personalize a song for their #1 fan! So pumped to visit this WEEKEND!!!

Mr. Beeson said...

It's because I love you, Ashley... you're amazing.

Ashley Barnas said...

And I love you so much, Chris. You are truly incredible.